Tuesday, April 13, 2010

colours



i'm going to try to make some a-line wrap around skirts, and a couple of tops if the skirts work out ok. every now and then i think of sewing. i sometimes give it a go {with a daggy pattern}, make something that doesn't fit so well, then put it away. it would be great to have the skills to make things fit! it would be even greater to be able to design an idea that i had floating around in my head . . .

do you like the colours of the cotton? the fabrics are dark grey, dark blue and black denim, but i thought some coloured thread might look good!

i've been inspired by kylie {+ the cold/dark snap that is autumn} to start a hexagon blanket! again with the colours ~ the others are mid charcoal grey and turquoise :)

** a link to the pattern {thanks to Lucy for writing it out so clearly}
** a link to duckcloth where i found some good patterns and great fabric!
** and a thankyou to meighan who included one of my tent paintings in this post the day before we went away: my love for you is a stampede of horses

14 comments:

Natasha Newton said...

Those colours are gorgeous! I look forward to seeing how the skirts turn out. By the way, I love your work - it always seems to make my eyes happy.
Natasha x

nathalie et cetera said...

ha! your sewing experience sounds very familiar! looking forward to see your new skirts!

june at noon said...

I do like the colors. They're very "you."

Good luck with the sewing! I always feel intimidated by it and then discover it wasn't bad as I'd thought. :)

Cathy said...

Love it all! The hexagonal blanket is the reason I started crocheting. Here's a look at my finished blanket: http://habit-of-art.blogspot.com/2009/10/crocheting-contemporary-granny-afghan.html

There's also a link to the pattern.

Can't wait to see all your finished projects!

Orgo Cosmetics said...

The colors are great!! :D

Stacey said...

The colors are beautiful, looking forward to seeing what you make.

OneClickGallery said...

I like your blog so much I gave it an award on my blog! Check it out:
http://oneclickgallery.blogspot.com/

Beautiful colors, good luck with the skirt :)

Janelle said...

I used to think I wasn't very good at sewing...then I got a machine that wasn't built in the 70s and discovered that it's easier when you're not fighting with your machine all the time :)

If you haven't already discovered it, Pattern Review is a great website where you can look up patterns and see people of all shapes and sizes wearing their completed garment. It's a great way to figure out which patterns work for your body type without wasting a ton of fabric and time.

belinda marshall said...

thanks for the encouragement! can picture it taking a while!

janelle ~ i bought myself a new machine for this reason just before i had the first baby! couldn't hack to old tension issues! thanks for the link :)

Kylie said...

Oh Belinda... those colours! I'm in love :) Love your thread combo and totally loving that fabric too. Thanks for the link to Duckcloth (and of course for linking me... you are so lovely!) Just realised I hadn't answered your question about my new specs - they are by a french designer, JFRey, and are from my hubby's optom shop! ;) Have a great week! Kx

M.M.E. said...

I'm just in awe of your talent. I can only sew enough to hem my pants (since I'm short). I can't wait to see how these skirts turn out.

cabin + cub said...

Congrats on the etsy front page! Just saw your mini gift cards up there this morning! ;)

Sathya said...

beautiful colours in the first photo!!

Cathie said...

beautiful colours, lovely photos!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin