Wednesday, May 12, 2010

my creative space . sketches








my sister gave me a box of beautiful silver pencils for passing my driving test and i finally got them out and sharpened them! they are the mercedes of pencils!

i think i'm going to work on these drawings to make digital pieces. i think! i have a hard drive full of scans of drawings that are just sitting there waiting for me to work on . . . the thing that has stopped me is not wanting to spend more time on the computer! but, after what feels like too much thought about how these pieces need to go {i like them as drawings but would like to make more of them}, about different possibilities medium-wise, digital keeps coming up as the answer. there are many ways they could go once things become digital, so i really hope i can keep things intuitive and natural!! will see!!

do you find it hard to find the balance between intuition and 'deliberate intent' with your work?? surely there is a clearer way to ask this question too! . . . see, too much computer time hurts the brain!

for more creative spaces or to play along, visit kirsty here.

** thanks so much for all the comments last week re the painting for my dad, i really appreciate the feedback. will post the finished work any day now :)

20 comments:

june at noon said...

I love seeing sketches! I'm still working through how to take what's in my brain and put it out there, what medium works, etc. There *should* be a simpler way. :)

Kate said...

Once again, I love your sketches. I actually spent a bit of time going through all of your paintings the other day and I love them so much, particularly the camping ones....

helena / little mo said...

gahhhh!! exquisite! such a joy to look at your sketches...they are always so tiny, miniscule and delicate! gah!!! xoxox

Unknown said...

wonderful sketches!
they would make excellent textiles
xo
-bree

Kathryn Mitchell said...

I really like how simple yet precise your style is. Its very different to most people's work I think :)

Kylie said...

I love them Belinda - your sketches are always divine but these plant-inspired pieces are so very special :) I find deliberate intent is often informed from intuition on some level, if that makes any sense? Digital play is still with your intuitive play, isn't it? :) Kx

Galit said...

Beautiful and so delicate
Love your works so much!

Greet said...

ooh, I love these little , delicate flowers and plants!

Unknown said...

love those little sketche. i'm all intuition with my drawings which is why they're just twirly lifeless shape... i need to work on the intent part. xo m.

Ooty said...

Lovely sketches - I love the use of different pencils in artworks, but somehow it seems non profesional to some...too bad

Lori P said...

beautiful drawings!

LeelaBijou said...

wow, they are gorgeous!!

nathalie et cetera said...

simply lovely!

Clockwork Lemon said...

I love the sketches, I can see why you'd want to go digital with them. They kind of remind me of botanical charts which I've been obsessed with lately

linda said...

wow, your sketches are beautiful! they are very organic and stylish...very cool! Now I want one of those Mercedes pencils...hehe

Janelle said...

For me, I had to spend enough time with Photoshop that I was comfortable and could make it do what I wanted before it felt intuitive and natural. Same with any medium I've tried, too. If you keep coming back to the same answer even if you're not so sure about it, you've probably found the answer (and the logical part of your brain is just kicking up a fuss). That's how it felt to me over the winter when I was trying to find my new direction.

I used to think I was totally deliberate with my work and not intuitive but then I realized how much of what I'm doing is directed by what feels right. My subjects/reference materials have to feel right and especially my compositions are all worked out by feel these days. I hardly ever do thumbnail sketches anymore.

Michelle said...

Lovely sketches. I think they would make great digital pieces.

Cait said...

Great sketches and interesting question!

With photography, I definitely know what you're talking about. With digital, I feel like I'm constantly over-thinking or composing the image too analytically. I like that film lacks instant feedback, so your intuition really must take over....unfortunately I can't afford to get back into it atm- but someday soon!

Don't let the computer eat your brain! :)

Aris said...

as far as deliberate or intuitive, the less I think/plan i find the more I like my work. If that made sense, it's early !((:

red or gray art said...

i have missed my visits here..your sketches make me happy!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin