Wednesday, January 19, 2011

my creative space






my creative space is starting again for the new year ~ which is a good thing. i like the weekly structure that comes with playing along . . .

i've been working on this embroidery on and off over the holidays. i just didn't feel finished with this shape, from the crochet wall hanging that i've still yet to back.

the tricky part was figuring out how to transfer the drawing onto the dark linen. i printed a re-sised version of the pencil drawing, cut it out {just inside the line} then traced around it with a clover {love clover products!!} white marking pen, which irons off. i tried a couple of other not so great methods which didn't make me give up at all!

the question now is, how to finish the back! i've cut the linen around the cirlce so that it's flush-ish with the back of the wood and left the stitching exposed. i guess it's only the wall looking at my knots!

happy first creative space day! pop into kirsty's for more spaces :)

14 comments:

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

That is so pretty! I saw a great tutorial for backing hoop wall art so it looks pretty on the back too...just wish I could remember where I saw it...

Unknown said...

Oh this is so gorgeous! I love the colours you have chosen.
Sophie x

74 Lime Lane said...

really lovely belinda, love the way you have branched out with things like this

june at noon said...

Gorgeous. I love seeing a design transform into different media. As far finishing, there's a great suggestion on Craftster here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359164.0.

Kate said...

Divine! I think the back would look lovely with all its knots and ends. Wonderful to be back here in your gorgeous space again Belinda. X

Kylie said...

Oh I love it, Belinda! It's just divine :) I'd probably leave it too... no-one will see the back, I agree ;) Kx

Galit said...

I love your gentle designs so much.
It looks very much finished to me! And I bet the wall love to have some loosen knots to play with :)

Tracey said...

So lovely Belinda. You are the queen of so many textiles! :)

I think leaving the wall looking at the knots is perfect! :)
... after all wooden walls are very familiar with 'knots' surely? ;)

Kristen Donegan said...

Oh I love this! Looks like consensus is to leave the back as is...just as well! (one less thing to do) More time to start something new :)

annamaria potamiti said...

Super lovely Belinda! So I tend to agree with the above- leave the back as is- but I understand how you want to do everything to the highest standard- I know Belinda- you always do-!XX

nathalie et cetera said...

i like this very much! and i like your tenacity! i was wondering how to finish the back of framed embroidery too. Maybe a ribbon all around the inside of the frame, fixed with textile glue?

inaluxe said...

Looks awesome! I love the white on black! I have no idea how to finish the back either.... :)

vadjutka said...

How cool project - I love the outcome :-)

I also have a frame like that,. waiting for its destiny.

Seaweed and Raine said...

This might sound random - but I actually love the bits you cut out of the template! It could make a cool pattern on a cushion, rug or something.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin