Thursday, February 5, 2009

untitled . friday





have been wanting to list these ones but haven't as i 've not been able to title them – and it's making me tense! i think a title is a good thing {even tho mine are mostly obvious}. and i like a description that gives artwork more of a face/depth or helps the viewer understand the approach, or at least gives insight into the material process. but then my other thought is that they could/should easily speak for themselves.

these ones are a taking me in a new direction in terms of collage but they touch on the same ideas as my drawings. i guess they are about inhabiting this planet in one way or another and my wish that there could be enough room for every personality, and also that we could respect the planet a lot more {too much to condense into something that isn't mushy}.

i like to be taken somewhere new but still feel that untitled means unfinished! what do you think re titles?

happy friday to u! am going out tonite, very exciting :)

5 comments:

tangled sky studio said...

as you know i'm a fan of titles. even if someone sees something different in one of my paintings i feel like the title is a window into where it came from...
if it helps at all these all appear to be objects submerged....
i hope you had a fabulous night out!

Cait said...

I think they can definitely be appreciated without titles, but having a good title will guide your viewer's interpretation. It just depends whether or not you want to do that.

The first one looks like a factory to me!

belinda marshall said...

thanks beth and c.
will be happier when i can sum them up briefly :)

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

How many discussions I have had on this subject I can't recall...
I love it when an artwork has a title as it tells me something about the artist too!
If you want to read some more on how I think about this, I had a discussion with one of my Flickr friends here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artmind_etcetera/3130288975/in/set-72157609444505831/

esta sketch said...

these are just beautiful, and I love your descriptions of them. sometimes I wish I could give my works titles that are a paragraph long, to properly explain to the viewer what they're all about, but sometimes you just have to let your work speak for itself I guess..

p.s - I'm tagging you [sorry! participation is totally optional but the details are over at my blog if you'd like to play :) ]

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin