Wednesday, May 20, 2009

my creative space



my space today is the back of the house and outside. i have my little one home today recovering from 3 days and nights of fevers. we are a little jaded! i need to be at the back of the house {loungeroom onwards} while he's asleep as my usual up and down the hallway to get water/coffee/food/sponges/u name it/ when i'm working at home alone would definitely wake him up. so, i'm still working today, but it's baby steps . . .

this painting is finished and at the varnishing stage. there's just a bit of paint that went over the edges that need to be sanded off. i mainly want the black to come off, i actually don't mind a little of the other colours showing as they are tiny reminders of the layers of colour that went into the painting. how 'finished' do you think painting edges should look??

in shoe news: these super sturdy comfy red birkenstock clogs are the shoes i ended up buying! i did see some beautiful campers that i would love to have bought but chose these instead as campers may only last me a couple of months - i seem to wear shoes out at an incredible rate {even birkenstocks}. these ones already look a year old and they were new on mothers day . . .

to see more creative spaces, visit kirsty at kootoyoo :)

9 comments:

annamaria potamiti said...

I like this painting- and I enjoy reading your blog- I have three kids that are between 17-20 and one who is only 7- I promise I can relate to the sleepless nights with fever running high...Happy recovery.

Anonymous said...

At my art college, we had an assignment where we had to figure out what to do with the edges of a painting...one person's response was to have the edges of the painting as THE painting, rather than the regular surface.

I like this unfinished look...reminds us what the artwork really is.

Anonymous said...

I like the painting. And I'm not sure about the edges...
I love seeing your work in progress. Oh - and good luck with your little one.

Janelle said...

I think you can get away with almost anything as long as it looks like you meant to do it. Or just come up with a really good story (that got me through a few critique sessions in classes).

I could also see having more color seeping out onto the edges of a layered painting like this just to give it even more depth and to look interesting from different angles. With the front of the painting so tight it might be really cool to have some randomness around the sides. Or not, if that's not what you're after :)

Janelle

Unknown said...

Cool painting - nice that you are pushing through the limitations to get it done!

Kirsty said...

I love the little peek of your new shoes.

Lucy Bowler said...

It's hard to squeeze in creativity and motherhood isn't it?! Good luck with the fevers, we've had our first run so far and things have quietened down slightly again, touch wood! The edges look great as they are. Everyone has such different aesthetics, don't they? Just go with your own instinct in the end, too hard otherwise!

Chocolate and Steel said...

love the painting!

I hear you about the shoes. I was all excited about finally getting new shoes a few weeks ago and they are already thrashed.

Michelle said...

The painting looks great. I love your red shooes too - Brikenstocks are so very comfortable!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin